page header image

photo of marker

SC-133:

In 1859 a petition was submitted to the Lewes Presbytery requesting the establishment of a Presbyterian Church in Georgetown. The congregation was organized the following year. Meetings were first held in the Sussex County Courthouse. The church was formally incorporated in 1871, and in October of that year, the present site was obtained for the construction of a house of worship. The new chapel was dedicated in December 1872.

The church was extensively renovated in 1934, when the building was raised and a basement level added. The structure was expanded in 1954 with the construction of a church school addition. A brick veneer exterior was added at that time. A major expansion project was undertaken in 1999 with the addition of a Fellowship Hall and Christian Education facilities. The new wing was formally dedicated by the congregation in 2001.

Installed in 2002.

Sponsors:

State of Delaware Historic Markers Program, 2002.


Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr

Resources Related to Georgetown:

Click to view resources about the town

Location:

203 North Bedford Street, Georgetown, DE 19947


Links to more resources: