Previous Page

CAREY’S CAMP


By the late eighteenth century a Methodist Society had been organized in this area. In 1888, two years after the construction of Carey’s Church, the first official Carey’s Camp Meeting was held in the grove adjoining the church. These first meetings, known as bush or basket meetings, were held under temporary shelters made of boughs lashed together. The Camp now consists of a series of cottages or “tents” which circle an open frame structure called the tabernacle. Annual worship services are held here for two weeks during the summer. Carey’s Camp was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: Route 421 approximately 1 mile west of intersection of Route 24 and Route 421 (4 miles south of intersection of Route 113 and Route 24 in Millsboro).