marker page logo

photo of marker


In 1778, a Methodist Society was organized in Dover by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, members purchased a one-half acre lot at this location from Vincent Loockerman in 1782. Future Delaware Governor Richard Bassett contributed toward the construction of a forty foot square structure, which was named Wesley Chapel. Bishop Francis Asbury preached the first sermon here in 1784. The building was used until 1850, when a larger Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed on State Street. Notable burials include those of Bishop Richard Whatcoat, Delaware Governors Cornelius P. Comegys and Gove Saulsbury, and Representative Nathaniel B. Smithers.

Originally installed in 2021.


The State of Delaware Historical Markers Program, 2001

flickr marker gallery
Dover City Hub

View on Find A Grave:

find a grave


255 S. Queen Street, Dover, DE 19904

Links to more resources: