Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo


“On May 2, 1868, the African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land west of Millsboro from John M. Burton and first church building was soon built. In 1885, the Church officially changed its name to Dickersons Chapel to honor Bishop William Fisher Dickerson. Known locally as the Old Field Church, the church building was renovated and rebuilt several times during the early part of the 20th century. In 1923, Juba Boyce willed land at this site to the Church. The congregation moved to this location in 1970 when the present Dickerson Chapel was built under the leadership of Rev. E.L. Coleman.” (1)


Text Source:

1. Delaware Historic Markers Program, Dickerson Chapel A.M.E. Church, SC-102.


Related Topics:  , ,



+