Previous Page TOC Next Page

4453 1 of 2


In 1941 the judges of the Superior Court and the Court of General Sessions of Sussex County appointed three Sussex countians to constitute "The Board of Trustees of the Prison, Prison Farm Courthouse and Courthouse Annex of Sussex County." Known as "The Board of Trustees of Sussex County." Board members served a term of three years. All could not be of the same political party, nor could any be interested directly or indirectly with firms the board dealt. No family member of any trustee could hold office under the board. Trustees served without compensation except for the actual expenses incurred in the performance of their duties. The board had full and complete jurisdiction and control over the prison, prison farm and land leased in connection therewith, courthouse and courthouse annex of Sussex County, and over all personal property and equipment used in connection with those institutions. In doing so the Board assumed all of the jurisdiction, powers and duties that prior to 1941 was exercised by or vested in the Levy Court of Sussex County. The board was authorized to acquire all necessary lands, buildings, equipment, food, clothing, books, and office supplies needed to carry out its duties. Contracts for the erection and repairs of buildings were granted by the board to the lowest public bidders. The board was authorized to appoint, dismiss, and fix the term of service and salary for all wardens and employees necessary to efficiently run the prison. In addition, the board provided proper food and living quarters at the prison farm for the warden and his deputies. With the approval of the judges of the Superior Court, the board made the rules and regulations concerning the operation of the Prison, Prison Farm, Courthouse, and Courthouse Annex; the behavior, care, and custody of the prisoners; the work schedules of the prisoners; and the compensation and the disposal of their compensation earned. With the advice of the farm overseer, the Board determined the crops planted and grown on the prison farm, the proceeds of which were used to feed the prisoners. The board submitted a proposed annual budget signed by two members of the Board to the Sussex County Levy Court for inclusion in its own budget with the amount thereof levied and collected as part of the County Tax. The Levy Court then held this money until needed by the board. Annual reports which included the amount of produce grown and sold, amount of revenue used to feed the prisoners, and a complete inventory of all animals, farm machinery, and equipment etc., were submitted by the Board to the Superior Court judges. All persons sentenced to the prison were committed to the custody of the Board of Pardons. Corporal and capital punishments were executed by the Warden.1 The Board of Trustees of Sussex County went out of existence when the county government underwent a major reorganization in 1970.

4453 2 of 2


1 43 D.L., ch 217

mm 2/7/89