3525-001 1 of 1
SCHOOL DISTRICT BOUNDARY PAPERS
In 1829 the General Assembly required the Levy Court and Court of Appeals “to cause their county to be divided into convenient school districts.” (2 D.L., schools II, ss2.) The Clerk of the Peace was to document and publicize the divisions made by the court appointed commissioners. The boundary records of Kent County document the earliest divisions of the county into school districts, the number of scholars residing in these early districts, and the changes in district boundaries between 1829 and 1915. Records included are transfer petitions, the commissioners’ returns dividing the county, a day book of Benjamin Tharp dated 1829, copies of legislation dividing districts, and one volume recording school district locations and boundaries in the county.
sle; February 28, 1989; March 27, 1989