Previous Page TOC Next Page

1340-008 1 of 2

BUILDING COMMISSION FOR STATE OFFICE BUILDING

In 1964 the Governor appointed seven members to serve on the Building Commission for the erection of a state office building in Dover. Members were designated as follows: (a) one from the Public Archives Commission, (b) one from the Building and Grounds Commission, (c) one from the State Board of Education, (d) one from the State Supreme Court, (e) one from the Public Service Commission, (f) one from the Secretary of State, and (g) one from the Director of State Planning.

The Building Commission had the power to enter into contracts for the designing, planning, construction, and equipping of the State Office Building and for landscaping.

Upon completion of the new building in 1970 the State Department of Public Instruction was moved to the building, along with the Corporation Department and the Franchise Tax Department of the Office of the Secretary of State.

On October 29, 1970 the building was dedicated and named in memory of John G. Townsend, Jr. Townsend served as U.S. Senator for Delaware from 1929-1941 and was Delaware’s governor during WWI, from 1917-1921.

1340-008 2 of 2

BUILDING COMMISSION FOR STATE OFFICE BUILDING

1 54 D.L., ch. 237, 1964.

2 General Reference # 752.

clm; December 8, 1988; February 8, 1989