Previous Page TOC Next Page

0902 1 of 2

DELAWARE RIVER BASIN WATER COMMISSION

Established in 1951 upon mutual recommendation of the members of INCODEL (Interstate Commission on the Delaware River Basin, RG 0903), the Commission set forth to develop, utilize, control, and conserve the water resources of the Delaware River Basin. Specifically, it was charged with providing for the domestic and industrial water requirements of the signatory states (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware); ensuring adequate flow to protect public health, industry, fisheries, aquatic life, and recreation; and providing for other uses of the water, such as navigation, flood control, and hydroelectric power.1

Only in existence for a decade, this agency was an expansion of the responsibilities and goals of the earlier INCODEL, with essentially the same structure and regulatory procedures. The main exception was that its commission and regulatory procedures. The main exception was that its commission members were chosen by the governors of the respective signatory states, three from each state, as well as an additional three members representing the federal government.

In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that New York City be allowed to share the waters of the Delaware River with the original signatory states. This development forced another reorganization of the commission which culminated in the formation of the Delaware River Basin Commission in 1961 (see RG 0901).

0902 2 of 2

DELAWARE RIVER BASIN WATER COMMISSION

1 48 DL, ch. 276

January 14, 1988; January 28, 1988; February 10, 1989