Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Seaford"

Seaford

SC-5: originally installed in 1966. Town laid out, 1799. Then called “Hooper’s Landing.” First incorporated 1865. Seaford Academy located here from 1819 until some time before the Civil War. Rev. Leonidas Polk, later Episcopal Bishop and Major General in the Confederate Army was a student at Academy. Home of William H. Ross, thirty-seventh Governor of […]



Seaford

RG #7200   1800 – 1849 Around 1800, Seaford, located at the head of navigation of the Nanticoke River near its confluence with Herring Creek, began to develop as a village with lots being laid out south of West (now King) Street and east of Market Street. A commercial ferry was established across the Nanticoke […]



Seaford Photograph Exhibit

Delaware Public Archives Digital Archive



Newly Conserved Document Shows 1825 Road from Smyrna to Seaford

Several items have just returned from being conserved and one of the more interesting ones is an oversize plot for a road from Cowgill’s Corner (south of Smyrna) to the Seaford area.  Completed in 1825, this plot provides a detailed look at one of the period’s main transportation arteries through Kent and Sussex County.  While […]



Snowstorms!

A family came in the other day from out of town during one of our winter snowstorms.  They had come to visit relatives and couldn’t believe all the snow we had.  They couldn’t remember it ever being like this on any other family visit and asked if this was normal?  It made them wonder how many […]






+