Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Bethel"

Bethel Church (Brown’s Chapel)

Francis Asbury established a congregation at home of White Brown in this vicinity in 1778. The original church known as Brown’s Chapel was built 1781, completed 1806 by White Brown, Lemuel Davis, and Jacob Kinder. Early preachers here were Bishop Asbury, Freeborn Garrettson, and Dr. Coke. Present church built 1894. SC-64. Marker Photo Gallery: Resources […]



Bethel

RG# 7010   1900 – 1949 Throughout the nineteenth century, a community called Lewisville was prospering as a trading and shipbuilding community along Broad Creek. When a post office was established in 1880, the name was changed to Bethel. In 1907, five men were appointed to engage a surveyor who would establish the limits of […]






+