Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo


Town of Little Creek Historical MarkerThe Town of Little Creek developed in the early 1800s as a wharf on the Little River between two neighboring plantations. Originally known as Little Landing, the community began as a trading and shipping hub for salt marsh hay, agricultural products from nearby farms, and seafood. Little Creek formally incorporated in 1899. As the community grew in size and prominence, it soon hosted a church, post office, general store, blacksmith, and shucking house. Little Creek’s proximity to the Delaware Bay made it the prosperous center of the successful Delaware Bay oyster industry from 1880-1930.

KC-126: Installed in 2019.


Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr

Location:

63 Main Street, Little Creek, DE 19901

 



Related Topics:  , , , , , , , ,



+