Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

header image

photo of markerThe Town of Farmington was first settled in 1851 as Flatiron. In 1855, the Delaware Railroad built a station at a crossroads in the community near the home of Governor William Tharp. When a new post office opened in 1858, the town was officially renamed Farmington. By the late 1800s, Farmington supported fruit canning and evaporator factories, churches, schools, and a commercial center with a number of shops. Farmington officially incorporated in 1909. In 1914, the town suffered a devastating fire that destroyed a basket factory, church, and several houses. The Tharp family house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

KC-127: Installed in 2019.


Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
click to learn more about the town

Location:

243 Main Street, Farmington, DE 19950

 


Links to more resources:



Related Topics:  , , ,



+