Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

NC-222: Originally Installed on 2016.

As early as 1813, Mass was celebrated in private homes throughout the area. St. Joseph Church was built in 1841 by a diverse community of Roman Catholic immigrants to meet the needs of the growing Catholic population. The nearby DuPont powder mills, where many parishioners worked, provided the stonemasons who built the walls of the church. When completed, the church was dedicated to St. Joseph, patron saint of workers. In 1848, the sanctuary was enlarged to its current size. The bell tower was added in 1878 and enclosed in the vestibule in 1941. This church is among the oldest serving Catholics in Delaware.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Location: 10 Old Church Rd Wilmington, DE 19807

 


Related Topics:  ,



+