In 1862 the members of Mother AUMP Church, also known as the Union Church of African Members, purchased property at the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Union Street in Wilmington for the purpose of establishing a cemetery. In 1914, the Church sold the property, then known as St. Peter’s Cemetery, for the construction of Bancroft Parkway. Remains were disinterred and reburied at Mount Olive. Many prominent citizens and community leaders are buried here. In 1980, the Friends of Mount Olive Cemetery was established to provide ongoing care and maintenance.
Originally installed 1991. Reinstalled in 2022.
4003 Lancaster Pike, Wilmington, DE 19805
Related Topics: AUMP, Bancroft Parkway, Friends of Mount Olive Cemetery, Historical Markers, Lancaster Pike, Mother African Union Methodist Protestant Church, Mount Olive, St. Peter’s Cemetery, Union Church of African Members, Wilmington