page header image

photo of marker


This congregation was organized in 1812. For a number of years services were conducted by Methodist “circuit riders” in members’ homes and local schools. On March 7, 1834, Thomas and Hannah Aldred donated land at this location on which to build a church. Constructed of Brandywine granite, the building was completed later that year. During the latter part of the 19th century the church was extensively remodeled. Improvements included the covering of the granite exterior with a stucco finish, raising of the roof pitch, and the addition of the narthex. The facility was further renovated in the 1930s with the completion of the present stained glass windows in 1934 and the construction of the belfry in 1936. The bell that was placed in the tower had been presented to the congregation upon the dismantling of Edgemoor Methodist Church. A fellowship hall with kitchen facilities was constructed in the early 1950s. A second story was added to the structure in 1974 to meet the growing needs of the congregation. Among the noteworthy graves in the church cemetery are those of long-serving pastors Reverend John Talley and Reverend Walter E. Fosnocht.

Installed in 2003.


The Honorable Gregory Lavelle, Delaware State Senate, 2003

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr

Resources Related to Wilmington:

Click to view resources about the town

Find a Grave:

find a grave


850 Mt. Lebanon Road, Wilmington, DE 19803

Links to more resources: