Like the Native Americans before them, European settlers used this rising ground or “hummock” on the shore of the Delaware Bay as a place for fishing and recreation. In 1738, Jehu Curtis received a patent for lands that he called “Kitt’s Hammock.” By the early 1800s, the Pleasanton family had established a tavern here for the entertainment of visitors. Around 1846, a hotel was built nearby. Known for a time as the Bay View Hotel, it was long the center of local activities. In the latter decades of the 19th century, a number of small cottages were erected here. Many were owned by residents of Dover who left the sweltering heat of summer behind for the cooling effects of the waters and bay breezes. Kitts Hummock continues to provide a peaceful refuge for residents and visitors alike.
KC-80: Installed in the 2003.
3073 Kitts Hummock Road, Dover, DE 19901
Related Topics: Bay View Hotel, Delaware Bay, fishing, Historical Markers, Jehu Curtis, Kitts Hammock, Kitts Hummock, Native American, Pleasanton, Recreation