SC-154: originally installed in 2002.
Constructed in 1904, this was once the residence of John G. Townsend, Jr. (1871-1964), agricultural pioneer and statesman. His long and distinguished public career included service as Governor of Delaware (1917-21), United States Senator (1929-1941), and member of the delegation to the first session of the United Nations General Assembly in 1946. As Governor, he fought for the much -needed reform and modernization of the state’s education and transportation systems. While serving in the Senate, he was an architect of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and other New Deal-era programs that reformed and rebuilt the nation’s banking industry. A business leader of great vision and accomplishment, he was a successful lumberman, farmer, strawberry broker, orchardist, canner, banker, and contractor. He was one of the pioneers of the Delmarva poultry industry. Townsend’s personal magnetism resulted in many friendships, and persons from all walks of life came here to visit him. Notable visitors included former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt and future President Richard Nixon. Following his death, the Townsend family donated his home to the Selbyville Public Library.
Location: Selbyville Public Library Selbyville, DE 19975