Constructed in 1917 as a coastal defense fortification of the U. S. Army. Named for Willard Saulsbury, U. S. Senator from Delaware 1859-71. Two batteries were located within the fort, each with two 12-inch gun emplacements. The north battery was named for Col. David Hall and the south for Col. John Haslet, heroes of the Revolution. Following removal of the guns during World War II, the fort was converted into a Prisoner of War camp. Up to 300 prisoners were housed here at a time, providing labor for a variety of local agricultural activities. Fort Saulsbury was deactivated in 1946 and sold as surplus property in 1948.
22988 Cedar Beach Road, Milford, DE 19963
Related Topics: Fort Saulsbury, Historical Markers