First known as Smyrna Station, the Town of Clayton began when the railroad came to this area in the mid-1850’s. In 1860, the name was changed to honor Delawarean John M. Clayton, a former United States Secretary of State and strong advocate of the railroad. Incorporated on April 15, 1887. Clayton became one of Delmarva’s largest rail centers in the late nineteenth century – serving as the hub for four railroad lines including the Delaware Railroad, the Maryland & Delaware Railroad, the Spur Line to Smyrna, and the Smyrna and Delaware Bay Railroad. From 1885 to 1920, Clayton was Division Headquarters for the P. W. & B. – later succeeded by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Installed in 1997.
300 Main Street, Clayton, DE 19938