page header image

photo of marker


This company was organized on February 2, 1928, when a group of interested citizens met at C. H. Pearson’s Store for the purpose of electing officers. William S. Scarborough was chosen to be the President of the organization, and Willard D. Boyce was selected to serve as the first Chief. Funds to support the company were raised through subscriptions, suppers, and carnivals. The first fire truck purchased was a used Ford Model T Chemical Wagon. The Cheswold Volunteer Fire Company was formally incorporated on August 17, 1931. In 1933 the members purchased a structure on the west side of Commerce Street where the company’s equipment was then being stored. After outgrowing this facility, the purchase of the former Cheswold Public School was approved in 1950. The building was renovated to meet the growing needs of the company. On April 26, 1953, the new firehouse was officially dedicated by Delaware Governor and Cheswold native J. Caleb Boggs. The facility was further expanded with the completion of a major addition to the building in January 1971. Since its organization, the company has continued to protect the lives and property of the residents of Cheswold and the surrounding community.

Installed in 2003.

Legislative Sponsors:

The Honorable Nancy Cook, Delaware State Senate


371 Main Street, Cheswold, DE 19936

Links to more resources: