Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

5100-003 1 of 2

DEPARTMENT OF ELECTIONS – CITY OFWILMINGTON
See 19 D.L., ch. 39
Created in 1891 to provide for the registration of voters in the City of Wilmington. The department consisted of 3 persons to be named by the Governor. They were responsible for establishing and maintaining election districts as prescribed; create and maintain voters registration books containing specified information; and appoint election inspectors and poll clerks to be called election inspectors.1 In 1901 the department was enlarged to five members, again appointed by the Governor, all to be paid etc. as other three existing. One member of the department was to be elected president and another clerk.2
In 1939 this Department was abolished and a Department of Elections for New Castle County was established.3 See Record Group 2220 for a description of the new Department.

5100-003 2 of 2

DEPARTMENT OF ELECTIONS – CITY OFWILMINGTON

1 19 D.L., ch. 39

2 22 D.L., ch 70

3 42 D.L., ch. 115


Related Topics:  ,



+