Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

5101 1 of 2

BOARD OF PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSIONERS FOR THE CITY OF WILMINGTON
In 1911, an act was passed creating the Board of Public Utility Commissioners for the City of Wilmington. The Board consisted of five residents of Wilmington who were appointed by the mayor of that city to serve for a term of five years. Board members could not be employees of public utility companies or lawyers. The Secretary to the Mayor of the City of Wilmington acted as the Secretary of the Board. The Board’s office was in the City of Wilmington. Powers of the Board were to make all rules and regulations for its government; to adopt a seal; to supervise all operating public utilities including street railway, express, traction, gas, electric light, heat and power, water, telephone and telegraph corporations, associations or joint stock companies to ensure safe and adequate service and investigate all complaints against them.1
On June 15, 1949, the Public Service Commission (RG 1362) for the State was established to consist of three persons over the age of thirty from each county, appointed by the governor for a term of six years, with the Attorney General serving as the legal advisor to the Commission. Effective September 1, 1949, the Board of Public Utility Commissioners for the City of Wilmington transferred all its jurisdiction, powers and authority to the Public Service Commission (RG 1362) and thereupon ceased to exist.2

5101 2 of 2

BOARD OF PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSIONERS FOR THE
CITY OFWILMINGTON

1 26 D.L., ch. 206

2 47 D.L., ch 254
jmm/June 3, 1988; July 26, 1988; January 4, 1989


Related Topics:  ,



+