In 1827 the Delaware legislature authorized a lottery for the purpose of funding the construction of “an Academy and Masonic Hall.” Land was purchased in 1840, and construction commenced the following year. The building was formally dedicated on December 28, 1842. The Georgetown Academy had a prestigious reputation and was attended by students from throughout the county. Classes at this private institution were discontinued in 1885 when a new public school was built in the town. In 1889 the Trustees of the Academy conveyed their interest in the property to Franklin Lodge #12. The building was remodeled to its present appearance in 1920.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at email@example.com.
LOCATION: Georgetown - Northeast corner, intersection of East Market Street and North Railroad Avenue.