ANTIOCH CAMP MEETING
In 1890 the Trustees of Antioch African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land for the construction of a new house of worship. Annual camp meetings were soon established. Known as “Big Camp” or “Frankford Camp”, people traveled from miles around to attend. Covered wagons were used for shelter prior to the construction of wooden “tents”. Cooking was done in large iron containers called “hogkilling pots”. Light was provided by “firestands” prior to the use of electricity. Visitors ate at the “Boarding House” and “Confectionery”. Worship services were held in the “Bower” covered meeting place in the center of the grounds. Many of the original buildings were destroyed by fire in 1943.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Frankford. West side of Clayton Street, approximately .2 miles north of the intersection of Clayton Street and Hickory Street.