OLD SOUND METHODIST CHURCH
In April, 1799, one of the state’s first Methodist societies was organized near this site by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. On April 29, 1784, one acre of ground was purchased here for the erection of a “preaching house.” The Church became known as Williams Chapel, in honor of brothers Arthur and Ezekiel Williams, founding members and prominent local preachers. Services were conducted here until the congregation relocated to a nearby site purchased in 1871. The church building was moved from this location at that time. On December 7, 1896, the Trustees of the church conveyed the property to Charles W. Johnson and Eliza J. Williams, for use as a cemetery.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: (Near Johnson) - North side of Route 382A near intersection of Route 382 (Dagsboro - Fenwick Island Road) and Route 382A.