Constructed in 1791 at the direction of the State Legislature, this structure served as the seat of Sussex County government until 1837, when it was sold and moved to this location to make way for the construction of the present County Courthouse. It was later used as a private residence, and also served as a printing shop. On September 20, 1962, the building and lot were conveyed to the State of Delaware. A major renovation project was undertaken in 1974 with funding provided by the State and the National Park Service. The building was dedicated on Return Day in 1976, in honor of the nation’s bicentennial.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Georgetown - West side of South Bedford Street, approximately 1/2 block south of Public Square.