CITY OF REHOBOTH BEACH
On January 27, 1873, the “Rehoboth Beach Camp meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church” was incorporated by the Delaware legislature for the purpose of establishing “a permanent camp meeting ground and Christian sea-side resort.” With coming of the railroad in 1878, the growth of the community was accelerated. On March 19, 1891, an act was passed incorporating the municipality as Cape Henlopen City. The name was formally changed to Rehoboth in 1893. Since its founding the City of Rehoboth Beach has continued to be one of the most popular resorts on the Atlantic coast, attracting thousands of visitors each year.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Rehoboth - End of Rehoboth Avenue at the Boardwalk.