Constructed in 1917 as a coastal defense fortification of the U.S. Army. Names for Willard Saulsbury, U.S. Senator from Delaware 1859-1871. Two batteries were located within the fort, each with two 12-inch gun emplacements. The north battery was named for Col. David Hall and the south for Col. John Haslet, heroes of the Revolution. Following removal of the guns during World War II, the fort was converted into a Prisoner of War camp. Up to 300 prisoners were housed here at a time, providing labor for a variety of local agricultural activities. Fort Saulsbury was deactivated in 1946 and sold as surplus property in 1948.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Near Slaughter Beach - South side of Route 36 approximately 3 miles east of Route 1 and Route 36 intersection.