This stone monument, erected April 26, 1751, marks the eastern end of the Transpeninsular Line surveyed 1750-1751 by John Watson and William Parsons of Pennsylvania and John Emory and Thomas Jones of Maryland. This line established the east-west boundary between Pennsylvania’s “Three Lower Counties” (now Delaware) and the Colony of Maryland. It established also the middle point of the peninsula, 35 miles to the west. The stone bears the coat of arms of the Calverts on the south side and the Penns on the north. It was accepted 1760 and finally ratified 1769 by King George III.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: South Fenwick Island. On State Road 54 (Lighthouse Road) off State Road 1, south side of road.