In 1696, James Cannon received a patent for land at this location from the Proprietary government of Maryland. Known as Ickford, the tract became the property of his son Thomas Cannon in 1712. It is believed that he erected the first section of the present brick dwelling in 1727, and expanded the structure in 1733. The property remained in the Cannon family until 1851, when it was sold to Halsey H. Maston. In its construction details and plan, the Cannon-Maston House reflects the architectural traditions of early plantation owners in the Chesapeake Bay region. It is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Sussex County. The Cannon-Maston House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: North Seaford. On Road 30 (Atlanta Road), north side, west of Road 560 (Bucks Branch Road) intersection.