The first organized services for members of the Protestant Episcopal Church in this community were conducted by Rev. John A. Childs in a local schoolhouse in the mid 1840s. As a result of the declining condition of Prince George’s Chapel in nearby Dagsboro, and in response to the needs of the town’s growing population, a house of worship was built here on land that was purchased from Woolsey and Hetty Burton in 1849. In 1870, the old structure was removed and construction of the present building was commenced. The church was formally consecrated in May 1884. Two early rectors of note were Rev. William Ellis and Rev. Lewis W. Wells. St. Mark’s Parish Hall was constructed in 1963. In 2006 a Community Labyrinth and Meditation Gardens were completed on the former site of the Church Rectory.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: State and Ellis Streets, Millsboro.