UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Methodism came to this area in the late 18th century when pioneering circuit riders such as Francis Asbury visited local residents to spread the message of their faith. The origin of this congregation can be traced to 1859, when the members of two local Methodist Societies joined together to establish a new church. The former meeting places, known as Onin’s or “Gully Camp” and “Russell Church” were abandoned following the move to this location. Construction of the present house of worship was initiated in July 1859. The building was named Chaplain’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church in recognition of the efforts of Reverend John Chaplain, the first minister of the church. A graveyard was subsequently established for the use of members.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: 2 miles east of Bridgeville at northeast corner of intersection of Chaplain’s Chapel and Deer Forest Roads.