Believed to have been constructed circa 1830 by Joseph Carey, this is the oldest surviving commercial building in Milton. It was one of many such mercantile establishments that were located in the town during the economic boom years of the 19th century that resulted from the expansion of shipbuilding and maritime commerce. After his death in 1834, Joseph was succeeded in business by his son Robert Hood Carey, who operated a popular ‘general store’ at this location for many years before leasing the building to others. A meeting place for residents and visitors alike, this was one of the social centers of the community. The Carey heirs maintained ownership of the site well into the 20th century. The property was purchased by the King family in 1972 and gained fame with later generations as the original home of King’s Homemade Ice Cream. The Carey Storehouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 as a part of the Milton Historic District.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Union Street, Milton.