CIVIL AIR PATROL
Coastal Patrol Base Two
Established in the opening days of World War II, the Civil Air Patrol was organized to provide civilian assistance with a variety of military activities including Coastal Defense. Utilizing privately-owned light aircraft, these citizen volunteers patrolled Atlantic waters in search of German submarines and their victims. Some of these planes were subsequently armed. A small unpaved airfield located on the west side of nearby Airport Road was the second of 21 bases on the East Coast established for submarine detection. During 1942 and 1943, CAP members assigned to this location flew countless missions in search of enemy vessels. Though coastal patrol duties were later assumed by the regular military, the “Flying Minute Men” of the Civil Air Patrol continued to serve with distinction through the remainder of the war.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016.
LOCATION: Airport Road, behind Food Lion (as of 2006) just off Route 1, Rehoboth.