ST. PETER’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
In 1680, the Justices of the County petitioned Governor Edmond Andros for the right to grant lands. Under this authority, a lot of ground at this location was reserved for “publick use.” Many of the settlers who came to this area in the late 17th and early 18th centuries were members of the Church of England. In 1708, the Reverend William Black was sent to establish a Mission here to serve the needs of Sussex County’s growing population. The first permanently stationed clergyman was Reverend William Becket, who arrived in Lewes in 1721. Under his leadership, construction of the first house of worship on this site was completed in the 1720s. The old church was replaced by a second frame structure in 1808. In 1853 the existing church was moved to a corner of the lot. On May 27, 1854, the cornerstone of the present building was laid by Bishop Alfred Lee. The new church was formally consecrated in 1858. St. Peter’s Episcopal Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Second and Market Street, Lewes.