TOWN OF MILLSBORO
For countless centuries, this was an important meeting place for the Native American residents of the Delmarva Peninsula. In 1792, the state legislature authorized the construction of a mill dam “across the head of the waters of Indian River near a place called Rock Hole” known as “the Indian Landing.” A village was soon established around the mill. The portion of the community on the south side of the river was called Washington. First known as Rock Hole Mills, the settlement on the north side was formally renamed “Millsborough” in 1809. By the 1840s the entire town was known by its present name. The expansion of the community was fueled by a wide variety of agricultural and manufacturing activities. With the coming of the railroad in 1874, a new era of economic prosperity began. The town was first incorporated by the Delaware General Assembly in 1893. Today, the Town of Millsboro continues to be a beacon for progress and growth.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: On wall at Millsboro Civic Center, 322 Wilson Highway, Millsboro.