This congregation was organized in 1809. Services were held in a structure that was first known as Elzey Moore’s meeting House and later renamed Wesley Chapel. With the closing of Wesley in 1852 the congregation was divided. On January 8, 1853, members residing in this area obtained this site from William Wheatley. A frame building was then constructed and subsequently designated as Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was formally incorporated in 1881. Additional property on the opposite side of the road was purchased in 1918 and in 1921 the old church was moved to that location and converted for use as a Community Hall. The present church was dedicated on June 11, 1921. The building was expanded in 1961 with the construction of additional space for educational activities.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Seaford Rd. near the intersection with Mt. Zion Rd., 3.2 miles south of Seaford.