In the late 18th century, Francis Asbury and other pioneers of American Methodism traveled throughout this area bringing the message of their faith to the people. A local Methodist Society was organized at that time, first meeting in the homes of its members. In 1804 they purchased land on Chapel Branch and built a house of worship. The growth of Seaford and expanding size of the congregation resulted in the purchase of a lot on Front Street in 1818, and the construction of a new church known as “Bochim’s Meeting House.” This structure was used until 1860, when it was moved and replaced by a larger building. In 1870 it was formally renamed St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church. The present site was purchased in 1889, and in 1898 the congregation completed a new church here. A major expansion and remodeling project was undertaken in 1933-34. In 1968 the congregation approved the building of a new sanctuary. The old church was removed and the present building was built and occupied in 1972. The sanctuary was formally dedicated in 1989.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Seaford, Pine and Poplar Streets