CENTENARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
In 1801 there was a great revival of religion among the residents of this area. The growing appeal of the Methodist movement resulted in hundreds of new members for the church. A class was formed in the Laurel area, and in 1802 a church was constructed at this location. The church was formally incorporated as “Zion Meeting House” in 1809. After several decades of use, a new church was built on the site. It continued to serve the congregation until 1866, when a third church was constructed in its place. With the celebration of the centennial of Methodism approaching, the church was renamed “Centenary.” Desiring a larger and more modern facility for its growing congregation, members began the construction of the present church in 1911. The building was formally dedicated on September 22, 1912. Church facilities were further expanded with the completion of an adjoining Education Building in 1952.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION:Laurel, DE located on Market and Poplar Streets