LEWES PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
LEWES PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH The origin of this church can be traced to the earliest days of Presbyterianism in America. A congregation was established here in 1692 under the leadership of the Reverend Samuel Davis. The steady flow of immigrants from Scotland and Ireland contributed to its growth. In 1707, the congregation obtained a portion of the present church property on which they erected a small frame house of worship. This building was subsequently replaced by a brick structure in 1727-28. It served the congregation until 1832, when the present church was completed. Also used as a school, the old brick church was demolished in 1871. Over the years, the church has been altered and expanded on several occasions. A Sunday School addition was constructed in 1914, and a multipurpose activities building was completed in 2002.
The adjoining cemetery includes the graves of many prominent citizens including Delaware Governors David Hall and Ebe W. Tunnell. The Lewes Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION – 133 Kings Highway, Lewes.