A post office was established in this community in 1827. For many years it did a large shipping business by water. The coming of the railroad in the 1850s resulted in an even greater demand for postal services. For more than a century the post office was housed in a variety of privately owned locations throughout the town. In 1934 the United States Government purchased this site for Seaford’s first publicly owned post office. Ground was broken in April 1935, and the new building was formally dedicated the following September. The facility was expanded in 1960 with the completion of an addition that doubled the size of the structure. It remained in continuous use until February 2001, when it was formally vacated following the construction of a new post office at another location.
The Old Seaford Post Office was purchased by the Seaford Historical Society in July 2001, and opened as The Seaford Museum in 2002.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Seaford, 203 High Street