GOSHEN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH


GOSHEN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH



A local society of Methodists was organized and meeting in this community by the 1790s. The first meetings were held in the homes of its members. On July 7, 1801, the group initiated the subscription of funds to establish a permanent place of worship. The effort was successful, and in January 1802, a parcel of land on Chestnut Street was purchased. A frame chapel was erected soon thereafter and given the name Goshen. The church was incorporated in 1807. The congregation continued to grow and prosper, and in 1874 they purchased land on Federal Street on which to build a new church. Construction was completed in 1879, and the old church was sold and moved the following year. Land where the building once stood became part of the adjoining cemetery. In the 1950s, the needs of the congregation and the deteriorating condition of the second church resulted in an effort to build a new home for the Goshen congregation. Land was secured in 1960, and the present church was formally opened on April 22, 1962.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: Milton, corner of Federal and Mulberry Street