ST. JOHNSTOWN METHODIST CHURCH
ST. JOHNSTOWN METHODIST CHURCH In the spring of 1779, Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury visited this area to spread the message of his faith. His efforts were successful and resulted in the organization of a local society of Methodists. Early meetings were held in the homes of members and in the woods where the church now stands. A house of worship was constructed circa 1780, on land that was provided by William Laws. The church was formally incorporated as St. Johnstown Methodist Episcopal Church on March 5, 1822. The property where the Meeting House stood was officially conveyed to church trustees ten days later. The old building continued to serve the congregation until 1872, when the present church was constructed.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Old Kings Hwy about 1 mile east of Greenwood.