THE BRICK HOTEL
This locally famous landmark was constructed in 1836 by Joshua S. Layton and Caleb B. Sipple, builders of the Sussex County Courthouse across the Square. It replaced a frame Public House that had stood on the site. County courts were held here during construction of the Courthouse 1837-39. The accomodations and hospitality of the house made this a popular stopping place for both residents and visitors to the County Seat.
Known for a time as the Union Hotel, this was a well-known gathering-place for northern sympathizers during the Civil War. After the war, business flourished with the coming of the railroad. With the advent of the automobile, the number of lodgers began to decline, and the hotel was closed in the mid-1950’s. The building was later renovated and used as a bank until 1998. The Brick Hotel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: South side of The Circle, Georgetown.