This house is believed to have been built by Samuel Paynter, a carpenter who purchased this property in 1737. Following its completion, the house and surrounding land was sold in 1741 to Luke Shields, a prominent bay and river pilot. The close proximity of the bay and safe harbor of nearby Lewes Creek made this a prime location for those who practiced the competitive piloting profession. This section of Lewes, then some distance from the village, was known as Pilot Town, reflecting the occupation of its residents.
The property was purchased by Thomas S. Maull in 1836. The house was expanded with the addition of the present rear wing circa 1890, and it remained in the possession of the Maull family until 1957. It was obtained by the Colonel David Hall Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, in 1962. The Maull House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Lewes. 542 Pilot Town Road.