FRANKFORD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
FRANKFORD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH In 1819, a group of Methodists purchased a parcel of land north of present-day Frankford. A frame chapel was erected, and on March 4, 1820, the members of the congregation met there to elect trustees and formally organize themselves as Antioch Methodist Episcopal Church. The members purchased the present site on November 20, 1852. The sanctuary was formally dedicated on August 28, 1853. The church was later renamed Frankford Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1880, a new spire was added, and in 1889, the roof was elevated six feet. Leaded stained glass windows were added during this period. They are considered to be fine examples of the American Opalescent style of the late 19th century. An addition was constructed in 1916 and subsequently expanded with the completion of a second story in 1947. A fellowship hall was built in 1967. The earliest legible tombstone inscription in the adjoining cemetery is dated 1868.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Frankford. Main Street and Clayton Avenue.