SITE OF JACOBS SCHOOL #143
SITE OF JACOBS SCHOOL #143 In 1863 the Sussex County Levy Court formally approved the creation of a new school district to serve the needs of local citizens. A frame schoolhouse was constructed on this site on land provided by Thomas Jacobs. Measuring twenty feet in width and thirty-two feet in length, this was a one-room school with a single teacher who was responsible for teaching all students in grades 1-6. Classes were conducted at this location until 1917, when road improvements led to the movement of the building to a site one-third mile to the northwest. The school was then expanded and renovated. Jacobs School #143 was closed following the consolidation of the district with Bridgeville District #90 in 1929.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Near Bridgeville. North side of Rd. 404 approximately .35 miles east of the interseciton of Rd. 404 and US 13.