PROVIDENCE METHODIST CHURCH
In 1865 the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church established a “mission” or charge circuit in Sussex County. At the time local members of that faith were meeting nearby in Rogers School. Services were held in the schoolhouse until 1886, when the present church was built on land that had been provided by Harrison Rogers. The church lot was formally transferred to the trustees by Charles H. Elliott in 1924.
Following the closure of Rogers School in 1932, the congregation acquired the vacant building for use as a Community Hall. Constructed in 1904 to replace the earlier structure where the congregation had once met, the building was moved to its present location in 1933.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Near Georgetown. East side Rd. 431 approximately 2.5 miles south of the intersection of Rd. 431 and US113.