On March 10, 1896, the State Board of Education approved a resolution recommending the creation of a new school district to serve the needs of local residents. The recommendation was forwarded to the Sussex County Levy Court with a petition from fifteen property owners stating that the neighborhood possessed more than the 35 “scholars” required to consider their request. The creation of District #190 was formally approved the following June.

A subscription was circulated to raise funds to construct a school here on land provided by local storeowner Jacob Reese Godwin. The new school was named in his honor. Classes were held here until 1936, when the district was consolidated with Millsboro School #23.

Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at katie.hall@state.de.us.

LOCATION: South side of Rd. 20 at intersection with Rd. 410, approximately 2 miles northwest of Millsboro.