MOUNT OLIVET UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
On February 9, 1830, a group of citizens favorable to the reform of the Methodist Episcopal Church joined together for the purpose of planning the establishment of a new church in Seaford. An existing meeting house standing on Chapel Branch was purchased the following day. The frame structure was then moved to the present site adjacent to the Hooper Burial Ground. Led by Dr. William Morgan, a physician and long-time local preacher, the new congregation affiliated themselves with the emerging Methodist Protestant denomination.
A new frame church was built in 1862. As a consequence of continued growth, the construction of the present brick building was initiated in 1897. The new church was dedicated on June 5, 1898. Numerous additions have been made since that time. In 1911 a pipe organ was added with a third of the cost being given by the famous industrialist and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie.
In 1962 the sanctuary was remodeled and enlarged. The original stained glass was preserved in the new sanctuary. The Chapel still retains much of its original appearance.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Seaford – 315 High Street.